Pain Relief: Is Dilaudid Right for You?
Dilaudid may help you with any excess pain you may be experiencing. But how do you know if it’s right for you? Read on to learn more.
What Is Dilaudid?
Dilaudid belongs to a class of drugs known as opioid analgesics. It can also be used to treat some types of coughs. The medication is only prescribed to relieve pain when other medications do not work, as the substance has a high addiction rate. However, the drug is common with recreational users due to the euphoric effects it provides.
Symptoms of Dilaudid Use
- Mental clouding
- Slurred speech
- Impaired judgment
- Poor memory
- Failure to fulfill school and work obligations
- Failed attempts to reduce intake of the drug
Is Dilaudid Addictive?
Dilaudid’s Potential for Abuse
Dilaudid has a high potential for addiction and abuse due to its euphoric effects. This effect of the drug may cause the individual to develop tolerance within a few weeks.
Developing tolerance to the drug can later lead to a substance use disorder. Therefore, doctors often recommend strictly taking the prescribed amount for only a short period of time.
How Does Dilaudid Help with Pain Management?
Dilaudid is popularly known for its ability to help relieve severe and acute pain. It works directly on the central nervous system and has been shown to have an overall positive effect on acute pain.
Generally, it changes how the nervous system and brain react or respond to pain.3
Medically Supervised Withdrawal Treatment
The sole purpose of supervised treatment is to undergo treatment safely. If you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms, it is best to involve medical practitioners.
A supervised withdrawal helps to transition the individual to the right medication safely. A physician will help to monitor the individual for respiratory depression or any other potentially dangerous symptoms safely.
- Appetite loss
- Muscle spasms and pains
- Cognitive issues
- Elevated blood pressure
- Intense drug cravings
Dangers of Long-Term Dilaudid Use
Long-term use of this drug by an individual can lead to severe side effects, addiction, and dependence.
It’s imperative to take notes of the signs that you or a loved one may be misusing the substance. Some of the other dangers of long-term use of the drug are:
Your body may develop a dependence on the drug after a few weeks of usage.
Therefore, you might experience dangerous withdrawal symptoms if you suddenly stop taking the substance. These symptoms are often life-threatening.
Treatment Options for Dilaudid Addiction
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Program: This treatment program involves 24/7 care in a structured facility with a daily schedule. The individual will reside at the treatment center for the duration of the treatment. These individuals will participate in healthy activities and therapeutic groups.
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT): This treatment involves the use of therapy along with approved medications for recovery. It is a comprehensive treatment service that enables long-term recovery and the development of coping skills.
- Outpatient Rehabilitation Program: In this program, individuals can live in their homes and visit the treatment center while still being able to work and take care of family. It is often a much more low-cost option as well.
Get Help at Essence Healthcare
It is not advisable to treat any sort of addiction without medical supervision. At Essence Healthcare, we have various treatment options to aid your smooth and long-term recovery.
We will meet with you to create an individualized treatment plan that can cater to your specific symptoms. Our caring and compassionate staff will be with you every step of the way during any opioid symptoms you may be xperiencing.
Reach Out & Begin Healing
Reach out to us today for comprehensive care. We want to help you and your loved one get back to living healthy and happy lives.