What is Drug Detox?
Drug detox is the first step towards a clean and drug-free life. Detox is the body’s way of eliminating substances and toxins. Over time drugs and alcohol build up toxins in the body. When someone stops using drugs and alcohol they begin to experience symptoms of detox and withdrawal. These symptoms look different for everyone and depend on several things. Drug detox is difficult to manage at home, and is best handled at a detox center.
What to Expect During Drug Detox
It can be difficult to know exactly what to expect during detox – as symptoms vary. Detoxing through a program is greatly helpful in managing symptoms of detox and withdrawal. Care at a detox facility can be broken into three stages. These stages include:
- Evaluation: A medical team will ask you questions about your health and history of drug use. They will also perform a physical exam.
- Stabilization: Once the team has a better idea of your needs, they will make efforts to get you stable and comfortable. This includes prescribing medication to manage symptoms
- Transition to Further Treatment: Drug detox is not a stand-alone treatment. To maintain a drug-free life, further treatment is needed.
What Types of Drugs have Detox and Withdrawal Symptoms?
Certain substances will elicit symptoms of withdrawal. These include:
- Opioids, including heroin, fentanyl, hydrocodone, oxycodone, hydromorphone
- Stimulants, including meth, cocaine, club drugs
- Benzodiazepines, including diazepam, Xanax, and other sedative-hypnotics
- Marijuana and other THC-containing drugs
- Anabolic steroids and certain prescription drugs
Signs That You May Need Drug Detox
Sometimes it can be difficult to tell if you need drug detox. Some signs that you or a loved one may need detox include:
- Mood changes
- Experiencing physical withdrawal symptoms when cutting back on use
- An increased drug tolerance
- Feeling like you need to use to feel “normal”
- You have medical conditions, or have developed new ones
- You have tried to quit before and were unsuccessful
Factors that Affect Drug Detox Severity and Length
The drug detox and withdrawal timeline is different for everyone. Symptoms can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. In some cases, symptoms can last even longer – up to a year or more. At Essence, our mission is to get you feeling better sooner. Our detox programs are aimed to decrease detox severity and length.
Outside of treatment during detox, there are a few things that can affect its severity and length. These things include the type and amount of drug being consumed, one’s history of drug use, one’s age, and one’s overall health condition.
Common Symptoms of Drug Detox
Drug detox symptoms are not the same across the board for all people. These symptoms can range from mild to severe and can be potentially fatal. Some symptoms can be managed at home, but it’s best to consult a healthcare professional before starting detox.
Physical Withdrawal Symptoms:
Physical withdrawal symptoms include:
- Aching muscles and shakiness
- Changes to reflexes
- Changes in body temperature, blood pressure, and heart rate
- Excessive tiredness or inability to sleep
- Feeling significantly hungry, or not eating at all
- Vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea
Psychological Withdrawal Symptoms:
Psychological withdrawal symptoms include:
- Anxiety and paranoia
- Feeling restless, angry, and irritable
- Memory loss and cognitive changes
Severe Withdrawal Symptoms:
Withdrawal symptoms can range from mild to severe. Severe withdrawal symptoms can include:
- Seizures and delirium
- Hallucinations and psychosis
- Coma or stroke
Medications Used During Drug Detox
To manage symptoms and improve your comfort, medication is often used in detox. Drug addiction and detox can lead to dehydration and imbalances in the body. Fluids and supplements are often given during the initial detox. Other medications such as antianxiety drugs and antidepressants are also used for symptom management. Withdrawal from some drugs can also be managed through medication-assisted treatment. This includes things like methadone maintenance for opioid addiction.
Benefits and Risks of Drug Detox
Drug use is immensely damaging to your body. Drug detox allows your body to begin to heal from drug use. Using a drug detox center can make this process smoother, and help manage any complications that arise. Detoxing through a program also makes the transition into further treatment smoother. Drug detox does carry some risks, which is another reason that detox programs are a good choice. Symptoms of drug detox can be dangerous and lead to fatal complications. Using a detox program ensures your safety and comfort during this delicate time.
Drug Detox Programs at Essence Health and Wellness
At Essence, we offer detox programs for over 24 substances. Our medical detox center in Hollywood Hills is fully equipped with the latest tech and treatments to meet your needs. We also offer subacute detox programs for those who may not need round-the-clock monitoring.
Why Choose Essence for Drug Detox
Drug detox is difficult to do on your own. Choosing Essence for drug detox will ensure your safety and comfort during this stage of recovery. Essence is not just a detox center. At Essence, we offer a multitude of recovery programs to transition into upon completion of detox. Additionally, each patient at Essence is assigned a personal recovery team of five professionals to ensure you’re getting the best care. Call us, and start your recovery journey today.