What Is Telehealth?
Learn about telehealth, how it’s being used in the medical industry, and how it could benefit you or your loved one.
The pandemic hit the world hard and caused many industries to turn to virtual means to conduct business. The medical industry is no exception. According to an HHS study, there has been a sixty-three-fold increase in telehealth utilization for Medicare alone. 1
So, what is telehealth, and how is it used? This article will provide an in-depth explanation.
What Is Telehealth?
Telehealth is any type of healthcare provided via virtual means. It may include video-based exams, mental health therapy, prescription renewals, and more.
What Is the Difference Between Telehealth Medicine and Telehealth?
Telehealth medicine is a type of telehealth. Telehealth medicine only refers to clinical services only, while telehealth includes clinical and nonclinical services like provider training, administrative meetings, and medical education.
What Types of Care Can I Get Using Telehealth?
There are various types of telehealth applications. Here are some examples of telehealth used in healthcare:
- Wellness Visits: These are visits made to assess a patient’s overall general health.
- Prescriptions for Medicine: A telehealth exam can be used to determine how a patient is reacting to a prescribed medication. If all is good, a renewal may be granted.
- Dermatology: With a dermatology visit, the doctor may be able to determine the situation by simply viewing the affected area. If that’s the case, the exam can be handled virtually.
- Eye Exams: If a patient is not experiencing any concerning issues, an eye exam can be conducted online for prescriptions and prescription renewals.
- Nutrition Counseling: A doctor or nutritionist can use a virtual visit to recommend dietary changes that will help with weight loss and managing conditions.
- Mental Health Counseling: Mental health counseling typically requires the patient to talk to a therapist. There is rarely a need for an inpatient visit unless interactive techniques and equipment are being used.
Telehealth Services and Applications
Telehealth can be used for much more than patient visits. Here are some other methods of telehealth and how they can be integrated into the world of healthcare:
Telehealth Addresses Primary Care Physician Shortages/Specialist Scarcity
Primary care physicians and specialists are often in short supply in rural areas and third-world countries. Telehealth communication allows access to care regardless of their location. It also makes for shorter visits so that doctors can see more patients in a day.
Telehealth for Education and Training
Telehealth information can be spread through virtual means. This makes it easier to train healthcare staff and teach patients about their conditions to have a better grip on management methods.
Telehealth and Patient Engagement
Telehealth presents less of a hands-on approach for doctors. It forces patients to take their health into their own hands, increasing responsibility for their well-being and understanding of their condition and health in general.
Telehealth and Provider Communication
Telehealth communication allows providers to access telehealth devices to share information with patients and other medical professionals easily.
The Future of Telehealth
Telehealth is growing in leaps and bounds. A study conducted by McKinsey showed that 76% of patients would be interested in using telehealth moving forward. More than half of the participants in a study published in the Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare said they would utilize telehealth to refill prescriptions, prepare for visits, review test results, and receive information. 4
Telehealth With Essence Healthcare
If you are interested in integrating telehealth into your care routine, Essence Healthcare offers many telehealth services.
Essence is a multi-disciplinary clinic offering physiotherapy, massage therapy, psychotherapy, and nutritional counseling. While some services must be conducted in-office, others can easily be accessed via telehealth, such as our mental health and nutritional services. We provide personalized treatments, commitment to our patients, excellent clinical care, and a friendly and comfortable environment.
Telehealth: a Modern Opportunity for Wellness
Telehealth is becoming an increasingly popular way to access medical care. Now that you have a better understanding of what telehealth is, you can decide how you want to integrate it into your health routine. Will you be utilizing it more often in the coming years?
Don’t hesitate to contact us at Essence Healthcare for more information!