The Benefits of Amphetamine Treatment for Mental Health
Discover the benefits of amphetamine treatment and learn how recovery can improve wellness. Explore treatment opportunities at Essence.
What are Amphetamines?
Are you or a loved one searching for amphetamine treatment opportunities in your area? Keep reading and find out more about amphetamines here.
To start off, amphetamines are synthetic stimulant drugs that increase the release of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain. These neurotransmitters are responsible for regulating mood, attention, and alertness.
How are Amphetamines Classified?
Amphetamines are classified into two categories:
- Those legally prescribed for medical conditions
- Those used illicitly for non-medical purposes
The most commonly used medical amphetamines are Adderall, Dexedrine, and Vyvanse. Adderall helps to improve focus and increase dopamine levels in the brain. Dexedrine is used to treat ADHD in children and narcolepsy, while Vyvanse also assists in treating ADHD in children as well as adults.1
How are Amphetamines Used?
Amphetamines are prescribed for treating conditions such as ADHD, narcolepsy, and obesity. These drugs are also used for recreational purposes like performance enhancement. While amphetamines can be beneficial when used as prescribed, misuse of these drugs can have serious consequences.
Amphetamine addiction can have significant negative effects on both mental and physical wellness. The drug can impact brain chemistry and cause changes in the body, leading to a range of health problems.2
Short-Term and Long-Term Effects of Amphetamine Addiction
Short-term effects of amphetamine addiction include increased energy, heightened alertness, and reduced appetite. However, these effects are short-lived and are quickly followed by feelings of fatigue and exhaustion. The long-term effects of amphetamine addiction are serious and have an overall negative impact on your mental and physical health.
Effects of Amphetamine Addiction on Mental Health
Prolonged use of amphetamines can lead to a decrease in dopamine levels. Dopamine is responsible for feelings of pleasure and well-being. The brain starts depending on this drug and needs larger doses to achieve a similar effect. This results in mental health issues like:
- Mood disturbances
- Feelings of hopelessness
- Paranoia, delusions, and hallucinations
Effects of Amphetamine Addiction on Physical Health
Besides its impact on mental health, amphetamine addiction can affect physical health. The drug can cause a range of physical symptoms, including:
- Increased heart rate and blood pressure
- Elevated body temperature
- Decreased appetite
- Damage to the heart and other organs
- Dental problems
- Skin conditions
- Upset stomach
How Recovery from Amphetamine Addiction Can Improve Wellness
Recovery from amphetamine addiction can have numerous benefits for overall wellness. Individuals who recover from amphetamine addiction can experience improvements in overall life quality.
Benefits of Recovery
There are many benefits when an individual recovers from addiction and seeks amphetamine treatment. The benefits of recovery include the following:
- Improved mental health, including decreased anxiety and depression
- Improved physical health, including reduced risk of heart problems and other health issues
- Improved relationships with family and friends
- Improved work or school performance
- Increased self-esteem and self-confidence
- Overall improved quality of life
Importance of Seeking Professional Help
Seeking professional help for amphetamine addiction recovery is crucial for success. Addiction is a complex disease requiring specialized care and support to recover successfully. Professional help can provide access to medical care, therapy, and other resources to help people manage withdrawal symptoms and overcome addiction.
Strategies for Successful Recovery
Several strategies can help individuals achieve a successful recovery from amphetamine addiction, including:
- Developing a strong support system, including friends, family, and support groups
- Participating in therapy to address underlying mental health issues and develop coping skills to manage triggers and cravings
- Avoiding triggers that can lead to relapse, including certain people, places, and situations
- Developing healthy habits, including regular exercise, healthy eating, and stress management techniques
Amphetamine Treatment Opportunities
There are several treatment opportunities available for individuals struggling with amphetamine addiction. The following treatment opportunities provide access to specialized care and support for successful recovery:
- Inpatient Amphetamine Treatment: Inpatient treatment involves the individual residing in a treatment center for some time. Inpatient treatment offers a structured environment, 24-hour medical supervision, and intensive therapy. Inpatient treatment benefits individuals who need intensive medical care and have a higher risk of relapse.3
- Outpatient Amphetamine Treatment: Outpatient treatment allows people to attend treatment while being able to perform daily chores and live at home. Outpatient treatment can benefit individuals who do not need intensive medical care and have a lower risk of relapse.
- Medication-Assisted Amphetamine Treatment: Medication-assisted treatment involves using medications to manage withdrawal symptoms and drug cravings. This treatment is often combined with therapy and other resources to help individuals recover.
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy: Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) identifies the negative thought patterns and behaviors associated with addiction. CBT can help people develop coping skills and strategies to manage triggers and cravings and recover from addiction.
- 12-Step Facilitation: 12-Step facilitation involves attending meetings and participating in 12 weekly sessions. This treatment opportunity can provide support and accountability for people seeking to overcome addiction and achieve lasting recovery.4
Personalized, Effective Amphetamine Treatment
When considering treatment options, it’s important that individuals tailor their amphetamine treatment recovery plan to their personalized needs and circumstances. This treatment recognizes that every person is different and requires personalized care to overcome addiction. You may have the chance to participate in various treatment plans, such as the 12-step facilitation entioned above, individualized therapy, or group therapy. Group therapy involves talking to others in similar situations, so you will be able to see everyone’s perspective of their addiction.
Individualized treatment also involves an initial assessment to determine the person’s history of amphetamine use. This includes mental and physical health status and other factors that may impact their recovery. Based on this assessment, a tailored treatment plan is developed.
Finding the Right Treatment Plan For You
Treatment plans may include a combination of treatment strategies. The treatment plan may also include specialized care and support to address co-occurring mental or physical health conditions that may impact the person’s recovery. The treatment may also involve ongoing monitoring and adjustments to the treatment plan. This allows modification of the treatment plan based on the person’s progress and challenges.
Amphetamine Treatment at Essence Health & Wellness
Essence Health & Wellness aims to help people recover through a personalized approach. Our team of experienced professionals provides specialized care and support for anyone willing to seek amphetamine treatment.
In addition to treatment opportunities, we monitor to ensure that individuals are making progress toward their recovery goals. We believe that successful recovery is about overcoming the addiction as well as improving overall wellness. Therefore, we work to develop a holistic approach to treatment that addresses physical, mental, and emotional well-being. We provide all levels of care for substance abuse and mental health issues. Our goal is to provide faster recovery and customized attention so our clients can get back to everyday life.
Reach Out Today
If you or a loved one is struggling with amphetamine addiction, we encourage you to contact us to learn more about how we can help. We will welcome you with open arms. We can’t wait to meet you!
Table of Contents
Questions About Treatment?
We are a patient-first substance abuse and mental health treatment facility located in Los Angeles, California. At Essence Health & Wellness, we provide different levels of care from detoxification to drug rehab aftercare. Our team is standing by to address your questions. Your call is confidential and no obligation is required.